Alexander has over 12 years of industry experience with the MySQL database and related technologies. His specialties are performance tuning, high availability, database infrastructure architecture and data warehouses. He has helped many MySQL customers design extremely high performance databases with optimized schema and queries.
Alexander worked as MySQL architect/consultant at MySQL AB, Sun Microsystems, Oracle, Percona, now working as Director, Data Architecture at medical startup, VirtualHealth
Presentantion : Securing customer data in MySQL 5.7 and 8.0
Protecting PII data is one of the biggest challenges of security minded DBA. But when you add a requirement to allow customers to have a direct access to a database replica it will make a life of a DBA nightmare.
At VirtualHealth we deal with medical data. In this talk I will share an experience of how to implement customer authentication, authorization and data isolation in MySQL. I will cover such topics as:
- Authentication of external users: how to create a secure connection to MySQL and manage users (LDAP, external auth, etc)
- Authorization and data isolation
- Auditing the logins and login attempts
- Encryption at rest, field level encryption and key rotation
- Data masking and Data anonymization / de-identification (for dev systems and research)
Securing PII data in MySQL